Well, today is the day! – That’s right, today we’re getting started on the road to transformation at DSChurch! We’re excited that you are joining us on this journey and we’re gonna be encouraging you throughout these 12 weeks and celebrating each personal victory you have!
Remember, please remember…our physical health matters. God does care. That’s why we’re doing this. Remember that with each decision you make with your fork. Remember that when you’re weighing the options of sitting in front of a TV or playing in the yard with the kiddos.
It’s 12 weeks! You can do this if you’ll commit yourself each morning to make wise choices and get active. I know that it’ll be an adjustment and that’s ok (adjustments need to be made). I know that this will take some advanced planning and real discipline to schedule time for a little exercise each day (that’s ok too. It’s worth it).
As we get cracking today, let me share a couple of quick tips that may be helpful to you in these 12 weeks…
WHEN IT COMES TO EXERSISE- Many think that exercise is just for weight loss and using it to get rid of some body fat but losing weight shouldn’t be the only reason you should exercise. Exercising regularly benefits your whole body. Everything. The quality of the life you live will improve with a little daily activity!
That doesn’t necessarily mean you need an hour in the gym each morning (though that awesome too, if you can). Something…anything that gets your heart thumping for a half hour a day will bring dividends! Daily activity that is 30 minutes in duration, completed in one session or even breaking it up, if need be into 2 fifteen minute bouts, or 3 ten minute bouts has numerous benefits outside of weight loss and improved appearance.
Take something as simple as walking…If you simply walked for 30 minutes daily it would:
1. Improves your Cardiovascular Health – Exercising delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues. This increased blood flow strengthens your heart and lungs making them work more efficiently. Exercising will reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
2. Combat Chronic Diseases – Reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by 58% if persons at high risk
3. More exercise means more energy – Having 30 minutes of exercise may not seem much to people, but you may be surprised how effective a 30-minute workout can be. For a quick 30-minute exercise, people end up feeling more energized throughout the day, and even until the evening. The more a person improves his or her stamina and strength, the more he or she finds it easy to do tasks every day.
4. Boost Your Immune System – You may not even realize it but exercise activates your immune system. This leaves you less susceptible to minor viral illnesses, such as colds and flu. It’s even been proven that those who exercise only 30 minutes a day are far less likely to develop cancerous cells within their bodies!
5. You’ll Sleep Better – researchers from Duke University have linked the epidemic of sleep apnea and even forms of insomnia and restlessness to obesity (even mile obesity will kill your sleep!)
6. Think Clearly – One of the effects of exercise is that it increases the levels of serotonin in the brain. This increase leads to improved clarity and mental function as well as improves your productivity
7. Live longer – Studies show that people who participate in regular aerobic exercise live longer than those who don’t exercise regularly. Exercise keeps your muscles strong, which can help you maintain mobility as you get older.
8. Improves your Mood – Exercise releases endorphins which promotes feelings of happiness and combats feelings of sadness and depression.
9. Connects You With Others – again, this challenge is a personal choice. YOU have to decide to make it but you don’t have to do this alone. Get a partner and get your 30 minute walk in together. Cool thing about this is that you get to talk…connect with others.
10. Weight Management – Just a brisk 30 minute walk each day will reduce bodyfat.
SEE- you’re over thinking this thing. It’s not as tough as you thought! We’re not asking you for a marathon! We’re just wanting you to get active!
Consider What Even Small Changes In Your Diet Will Produce…
If you made the switch from Soda to water over the next 12 weeks, you’ll be amazed by what happens. See, that small. That’s no big deal…but small things matter. Concerning that Coke/Pepsi/Soda of ANY kind…
Leading researchers discovered that drinking soda leads to dramatic increases in fat buildup around your liver and your skeletal muscles, both of which can contribute to insulin resistance and diabetes. The study revealed that people who drank a regular soda every day for six months saw a 132 to 142 percent increase in liver fat, a 117 to 221 percent jump in skeletal fat, and about a 30 percent increase in both triglyceride blood fats and other organ fat. Their consumption also led to an 11 percent increase in cholesterol, compared with the people who drank other beverages such as water or milk. – You may say, “OK, fine then! I’ll switch to Diet Soda” – Um…hold up there buddy…
It probably doesnt shock you that drinking soda causes weight gain but how about that big old diet coke? Researchers from the University of Texas Health Science Center monitored 475 adults for 10 years, and found that those who drank diet soda had a 70 percent increase in waist circumference over the 10-year study, compared with those who didn’t drink any soda. Those who drank more than two diet sodas per day saw a 500 percent waist expansion! A separate study the same researchers conducted on mice suggested that it was the aspartame, which raised blood glucose levels, that caused the weight gain; when your liver encounters too much glucose, the excess is converted to body fat.
We could go on and on here. My point is simple…even small changes in exercise routine and diet are big deals. Make some of those changes today and lets go!